Thursday, February 4, 2010

wool dying

yesterday we dyed some wool with the girls while Tobin slept. It came about because Anoushka decided she didn't like the wool she was knitting with. So  I said, "do you want to make your own? " We've done this together before so they knew what was involved, and jumped at  the chance( in fact they are already designing their next yarns!) Anoushka had some white (badly) spun roving, from one of my attempts at spinning, and she will use the wool for a dolls blanket. I felted it slightly as I was rinsing the dye out after fixing and I'm quite happy with it actually. I hope she is too!
 Maaike started with some commercially spun grey wool (not sure what breed), and knew she wanted a rainbow wool. It ended up with beautiful yellows and pinks with some flecks of blue and green and orange. I like the mellow effect with the colours on the grey. Her wool will be a winter vest that I will knit for her next project.

 The light doesn't really do it justice.  I did some too, a whole lot of mellow greens/ blues /yellows on the same grey wool that maaike had, and some yellow/red/orange on some random white merino looking wool from the op shop. The white wool definately took up the colours in a brighter way!

 I felt really "present" yesterday, something I have struggled with in the past. I like playing OMA /grandma in the fantasy games if it means I can sit and knit at the same time. I have lots more projects to go.....

1 comment:

  1. Love your resluts, though it looks like you are in a bit of a tangle at the top there! I once unravelled an opshop jersey (cheapest wool ever, you just have to check the peices were knit seperately, not cut out of knit fabric) and dyed it, but ended up with the most dreadful tangle which took me days to unwind. Lovely wool though! (jess - spinningayarn)

    ReplyDelete