Sunday, January 25, 2009

Favourite spots

A few of my favourite spots today....

Blowsy Sunflowers

A rogue runaway self-seeded pumpkin climbing the already overgrown fence.

Roses blooming again after a liquid feed with comfrey, against a wall, where i'm dreaming about a whole new garden. Flowers maybe (although I'm sure that I will cram in some sort of food producing plant or ten, because I'm always running out of room!)

A Tiki close up. They are all different!

Whanau group of tikis before they are sent in various directions.

My shelf with some special things. I had to reorganise the sewing cum playroom before I could settle down to serious sewing. I wish I had more shelves but one was hard enough for struan to hang, not because of his DIY skills but the hardboard the wall is made with.

Some calendula oil. My good friend Gillybean had a tutorial a few years ago, on how to make ointments from herbs and flowers, and after reading about how to calm and soothe sandfly bites I decided I should really make some calendula ointment from the abundant flowers in my garden. Gilly's method involved putting the oils in a dark place for 4 to 6 weeks, but mine seem to work better on a sunny shelf. I've read that the oil harnesses some of the sun's energy that way?

1 comment:

  1. Yes I reckon it's a good idea to potentise it with the suns energy for a bit. Cooling herbs like chickweed, or plantain are good for bites too and I'd add either lavender infused by the same method or buy the beautiful essential oil from "Marlborough Lavender" like I do, it has wonderful soothing and antiseptic qualities and combines well with the calendula for burns, bites etc.

    ReplyDelete