Friday, May 15, 2009

A Lesson in Geometry(A Learning Story)



We've all been home this week with sick children. No Kindy, no friends, no pressure(no sleep, but that's another story). Last night Anoushka, while drawing said,"I'm drawing lots of shapes". A circle, a triangle,a square. I saw a "teaching moment", and said "what other shapes do you know and can you draw? " "A heart and a diamond and stars. Mama how do you draw stars?" So I tried and explained my method of drawing stars (two triangles) but that didn't click for her so I suggested she ask her father as he has different (better) ways of explaining things, and sure enough after only two demonstrations she was away and drew about twenty more stars. "I can do it, mama! I can even do it with my eyes closed!" "You are so proud of yourself, anoushka"we said.

Interesting that when something is self initiated and really learnt that there is that element of self imposed practise until there is mastery of the achievement objective (to use some jargon!) We see it all the time in wee Tobin's quest to conquer new heights (literally).

1 comment:

  1. Hi, it's great to see you are into learning stories. This way of extending and documenting your children's learning will be a great base for continuing on the homeschooling/unschooling journey if you are into it. I do lots of learning stories at Playcentre. I have 2 and a bit children also under 4, and unschool. We are on the Coast. Radical Unschoolers Aotearoa is a yahoo group I would highly rec you joining if you are interested in homeschooling/unschooling etc. I found your link via Lishelle's blog, (who is moderator for RUA too). Cheers!

    ReplyDelete