Friday, November 9, 2012

happy place 2

 A morning with just Joska  and me, saw me try to return to my happy place from yesterday.... my  beautifully carded wool calling my name... alas those "simple' machines I praised yesterday, just frustrated me today...  I couldn't get the tension right on either of my two free or nearly free spinning wheels, but did manage to spin up one of my coloured batts from yesterday into a very gnarly and funky yarn.

Another experimental  "batt": White washed unnamed sheep wool, some purple corriedale, some ashford merino and silk blended together, some angora bunny fibre, romney locks and a sparkly fibre, maybe tencel, found at the dump ( recycling centre),  one day, plus some yarn off cuts from knitting.  Any words of wisdom regarding spinning wheels? Luckily I'm still riding on my high from yesterday, and peace and quiet so not too down in the dumps...

1 comment:

  1. Spinning Wheels huh......

    I'd say: Oil it all (including the bits where the treadle connects into the front legs.)Also a smear of oil or vaseline on the bobbin shaft is a good idea. I tended to do a complete oil of my wheel for every plied bobbin (so two bobbins spinning and one bobbin plying) when I was spinning on an ashford, but you might need a little oil on the bobbins in between.

    Check your springs haven't been all stretched out. If they have replace them- you can use a short rubber band if you don't have spare springs.

    And my favourite upgrade for an old ashford wheel (assumption), though it would work on any wheel, is this http://www.wheelsandwhorls.co.nz/shop/spinning-accessories/drive-belts/ashford-turbo-kit-polycord-drive-belt/prod_221.html

    Best $15.50 you will ever spend!

    Hope you spinning goes more smoooothly!

    ReplyDelete